Baseball time again
The BNA Bank Cotton States Baseball League will open its third season Saturday at Legion Field at the New Albany Sportsplex.
The league is back in town for their June and July season that features five teams, all playing their games at the New Albany field.
The teams are the Tippah County Tribe, the North Delta Dealers, the Golden Triangle Jets, the Tupelo Thunder and our own Tallahatchie Rascals.
New Albany’s team, the Rascals, is coached by East Union High School’s Chris Basil, a former player at the University of Mississippi. New Albany High School coach John Walker will coach the North Delta Dealers.
Four athletes from Union County will play this season: Jimel Judon, from Ole Miss with the Tribe; Beau Cummings from Northeast with the Rascals; Sawyer Whitley from Northeast with the Thunder, and Tyler Basil from Northeast with the Dealers.
The Cotton States league traces its history to 1902, but the league closed in 1952 and was reorganized recently for teams in south Mississippi.
A couple of years ago the league expanded with a north division, and Legion Field was renovated to provide a facility for the teams.
The Cottons States league allows players from colleges and universities in the region to stay in state and play summer ball. It is a pro-style, wood-bat league.
The tickets are not expensive, and concessions are available at the games.
We encourage you to take in some games this summer to help grow the fan base so the league will continue to call New Albany home.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...