Baseball time again
The BNA Bank Cotton States Baseball League will open its third season Saturday at Legion Field at the New Albany Sportsplex.
The league is back in town for their June and July season that features five teams, all playing their games at the New Albany field.
The teams are the Tippah County Tribe, the North Delta Dealers, the Golden Triangle Jets, the Tupelo Thunder and our own Tallahatchie Rascals.
New Albany’s team, the Rascals, is coached by East Union High School’s Chris Basil, a former player at the University of Mississippi. New Albany High School coach John Walker will coach the North Delta Dealers.
Four athletes from Union County will play this season: Jimel Judon, from Ole Miss with the Tribe; Beau Cummings from Northeast with the Rascals; Sawyer Whitley from Northeast with the Thunder, and Tyler Basil from Northeast with the Dealers.
The Cotton States league traces its history to 1902, but the league closed in 1952 and was reorganized recently for teams in south Mississippi.
A couple of years ago the league expanded with a north division, and Legion Field was renovated to provide a facility for the teams.
The Cottons States league allows players from colleges and universities in the region to stay in state and play summer ball. It is a pro-style, wood-bat league.
The tickets are not expensive, and concessions are available at the games.
We encourage you to take in some games this summer to help grow the fan base so the league will continue to call New Albany home.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...