Baseball time again
The BNA Bank Cotton States Baseball League will open its third season Saturday at Legion Field at the New Albany Sportsplex.
The league is back in town for their June and July season that features five teams, all playing their games at the New Albany field.
The teams are the Tippah County Tribe, the North Delta Dealers, the Golden Triangle Jets, the Tupelo Thunder and our own Tallahatchie Rascals.
New Albany’s team, the Rascals, is coached by East Union High School’s Chris Basil, a former player at the University of Mississippi. New Albany High School coach John Walker will coach the North Delta Dealers.
Four athletes from Union County will play this season: Jimel Judon, from Ole Miss with the Tribe; Beau Cummings from Northeast with the Rascals; Sawyer Whitley from Northeast with the Thunder, and Tyler Basil from Northeast with the Dealers.
The Cotton States league traces its history to 1902, but the league closed in 1952 and was reorganized recently for teams in south Mississippi.
A couple of years ago the league expanded with a north division, and Legion Field was renovated to provide a facility for the teams.
The Cottons States league allows players from colleges and universities in the region to stay in state and play summer ball. It is a pro-style, wood-bat league.
The tickets are not expensive, and concessions are available at the games.
We encourage you to take in some games this summer to help grow the fan base so the league will continue to call New Albany home.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...