Carnell’s second chance
A semester away from the game he loves was enough inspiration to get Zach Carnell back on the court. After starting at Delta State, then transferring to Itawamba Community College in the spring semester, the former Ingomar standout will now take his talents to J.D. Parker’s Blue Mountain College squad.
“Sitting out last semester really got to me,” Carnell said of his second chance. “I was used to playing for years, and I had the chance to sit out and think about it, so it’s made me more excited. I’m really looking forward to getting the ball back in my hands and helping out.”
Carnell averaged 23 points and 14 rebounds per game as a senior at Ingomar, helping lead the Falcons to a state title in 2010. Now he looks forward to the chance of playing in front of his family and friends again.
“I’ve worked out with Coach (J.D.) Parker a good many times, and I think we’re a lot alike. I also get along with the team, and they seem to like me,” he said. “It’s definitely a positive being right up the road, so more people I know can come and watch. Blue Mountain College just seems like a good place, and I think I’ll fit in well.”
As for his head coach, Parker is thrilled to have a new weapon in the post.
“I’m extremely excited about the addition of Zach to our team,” Parker said. “He had a great high school career for Coach (Norris) Ashley at Ingomar and I believe his best basketball is ahead of him. Zach has the potential to be a strong inside presence in our conference over the next three years.”
With his height and athletic ability, Carnell hopes to become a force for the Toppers.
“I think I can definitely contribute in rebounding. I love rebounding, and I hope I’m able to, at least. Adding some height is also a good thing, and maybe I can get my scoring ability in, keep improving with Coach Parker’s help.”
“Just got to keep working on the positives.”
The Toppers are a member of the Transouth Athletic Conference in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...