Support Down From the Hills
The official State of Mississippi Bluegrass Championship was held on May 21, 2011, in conjunction with the Down From The Hills Heritage Music Festival.
You should have been there!
There were approximately 60 contestants vying for the $9,000 dollars in prize money. But I would guess that having the trophy engraved as the State of Mississippi Champion was way more important than the money. Now that is something to be proud of.
It was a pleasure to co-host this event along with Brandon Presley, our Northern District Public Service Commissioner. He was a pleasure to work with. Kay Bain, host of the Morning Show on TV 9, presented some special music between competitions.
A big thanks should go out to Jill Smith, Director of the Union County Heritage Museum; Stanley Wise of the Union County Extension Office, and Bethany Dalton for their tireless efforts in facilitating this event.
Wow! How many cities host a state championship?
There was competition in mandolin, dobro, banjo (my personal favorite), guitar, fiddle, and finally band. There was some awesome talent in these contests and I want to encourage you to come next year.
As good as the competitors were, the highlight of the day was a performance by Ben Hall. Ben, a former international thumb picking champion, put on a display of pickin’ that you won’t often hear. I closed my eyes and thought for sure Chet Adkins was on the stage–but no, it was Ben Hall.
If there was a down side to the day, it was the fact that this State Championship was not supported by any of our local officials by their attendance.
I would hope in the future that this event will continue to grow and be supported by our city and county elected leaders as well as all of our citizens of our area.
This attendance will help stamp this event as one supported by our city and county as a worthy endeavor.
So, get ready for next year. Ya’ll get out your guitars and fiddles and do the pickin’ and I’ll do the grinning. Heck, maybe next year we will get Allison Krause and Union Station to come and do a set for us. Now that would be awesome.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert