Summer water fun
Hot weather is here and it’s the perfect time to spend time in the water.
Fortunately, for young children, the New Albany Spray Park at the Sportsplex is available. It’s open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
For $4 per 90-minute session, children age 12 and under can frolic in the water and use the small water slide.
Unfortunately, that’s the extent of water-fun facilities open to the public in our area. Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County operates a salt-water pool for members of its Healthplex facility.
An effort to build a community public swimming pool continues to be talked about, but so far that is as far as it goes.
As we understand it, there is enough land available at the west end of the Sportsplex expansion property to accommodate a pool.
We believe the community needs a year-round indoor-outdoor pool. We think swimming instruction should be available to all children, preferably as part of the elementary-school curriculum.
A pool also provides a place for exercise, and a place for children and adults to enjoy swimming for recreation or competition.
The city of Tupelo recognizes the importance of a public swimming pool and is moving ahead on plans to construct a major new complex to replace an existing pool.
A swimming pool is an expected part of community services, just like parks, when families are considering an area in which to relocate.
We should not go through another summer without making plans to have a public pool by next summer.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...