Summer water fun
Hot weather is here and it’s the perfect time to spend time in the water.
Fortunately, for young children, the New Albany Spray Park at the Sportsplex is available. It’s open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
For $4 per 90-minute session, children age 12 and under can frolic in the water and use the small water slide.
Unfortunately, that’s the extent of water-fun facilities open to the public in our area. Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County operates a salt-water pool for members of its Healthplex facility.
An effort to build a community public swimming pool continues to be talked about, but so far that is as far as it goes.
As we understand it, there is enough land available at the west end of the Sportsplex expansion property to accommodate a pool.
We believe the community needs a year-round indoor-outdoor pool. We think swimming instruction should be available to all children, preferably as part of the elementary-school curriculum.
A pool also provides a place for exercise, and a place for children and adults to enjoy swimming for recreation or competition.
The city of Tupelo recognizes the importance of a public swimming pool and is moving ahead on plans to construct a major new complex to replace an existing pool.
A swimming pool is an expected part of community services, just like parks, when families are considering an area in which to relocate.
We should not go through another summer without making plans to have a public pool by next summer.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...