Summer water fun
Hot weather is here and it’s the perfect time to spend time in the water.
Fortunately, for young children, the New Albany Spray Park at the Sportsplex is available. It’s open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
For $4 per 90-minute session, children age 12 and under can frolic in the water and use the small water slide.
Unfortunately, that’s the extent of water-fun facilities open to the public in our area. Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County operates a salt-water pool for members of its Healthplex facility.
An effort to build a community public swimming pool continues to be talked about, but so far that is as far as it goes.
As we understand it, there is enough land available at the west end of the Sportsplex expansion property to accommodate a pool.
We believe the community needs a year-round indoor-outdoor pool. We think swimming instruction should be available to all children, preferably as part of the elementary-school curriculum.
A pool also provides a place for exercise, and a place for children and adults to enjoy swimming for recreation or competition.
The city of Tupelo recognizes the importance of a public swimming pool and is moving ahead on plans to construct a major new complex to replace an existing pool.
A swimming pool is an expected part of community services, just like parks, when families are considering an area in which to relocate.
We should not go through another summer without making plans to have a public pool by next summer.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...