Hot time at Relay
The 13th annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life has come and gone, and it was a hot one.
Temperatures were in the high 90s as the teams gathered at the New Albany Sportsplex for the opening ceremony last Friday evening. And it didn’t cool off much all evening.
Attendance was down from last year in the oppressive heat, but Rick Lemmons, chairman of the event, said it was still an “awesome day for an awesome cause.” We agree.
Lemmons said event organizers believe more than $80,000 was raised by teams competing in the event, and from other activities. Attendees were able to buy food, listen to music and participate in games.
Ann Gray, entertainment chair, said, “Cancer touches everyone, whether through personal experience or through family or friends. Union County has taken a stand to fight this dreadful disease and they do a wonderful job.”
And Colt Doom, team recruitment chair, called the event vital to the community because it gives the community and its families a chance to slow down and honor the many cancer survivors, and remember those who have lost the fight.
It is an important event, and we congratulate all those who helped with this year’s Relay for Life, and urge everyone in the community to think about participating in some way next year.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert