Denton named New Albany cross country coach
New Albany took its first step in improving the cross country program, hiring Dorothy Denton as the head coach.
The Union County native was introduced to the team on Monday at the high school.
Denton served as the cross country coach at Ingomar for three years (2007-2009) before accepting a job at the New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults. While at the school, Denton helped implement an exercise program for the clients, which includes daily walks. Also, Denton has played an integral part in developing the New Albany Runs running group, which meets on almost a daily basis and works with runners on all levels.
“I do love to run, and I’m excited about being here and I look forward to running with the team,” Denton said. “I like to set goals because it gives us a purpose and a reason to keep working.”
“My goal for this team is to be the best that they can be. I want to see them win state, and I believe that they can if they work hard and set their minds.”
Along with the hiring of Denton, the school district is also working on developing a course at the elementary school through a grant received from Lowe’s. With the help of New Albany Elementary School Principal Jamey Wright, the cross country program will benefit not only with the addition of the course, but also through the extended program Wright hopes to start with the kids at his school.
“The elementary school got the grant and Mr. Wright is working to get the course out there, which will eventually be our home course,” New Albany Athletic Director Shane Sanderson said. “Jamey is working really hard to get the fourth, fifth and sixth graders active, so the future is very bright, and we’re excited about where we’re going as a program.”
As far as the hiring of Denton, Sanderson found it most important to hire someone who shares a love for the sport, as that personality will work best with the athletes.
“It’s extremely important that we get someone in here who will work hard and has a love for the sport, and we found that in Dorothy Denton,” he said. “She blew us away with her love for running and she’s committed to what she’s doing.”
Denton will begin workouts with the team this week and also plans to continue working with New Haven while coaching at New Albany.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Ignoring burn ban can cost you money September 29, 2016
- BNA Bank converting former bus station into new mortgage center September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...