New Albany Garden Club receives praise for beautification efforts
Several awards were presented to New Albany Garden Club members at the recent Deep South Region of National Garden Clubs Convention in Louisiana.
The biggest award, the Silver award, was presented to member Sherra Owen. This award is given to an individual, organization, or institution in recognition of a contribution to the field of garden club work or to the field of horticulture of state or national significance.
Owen was humbled when she received the award and said that the ongoing gardening and horticulture work as well as the constant dedication of the members of New Albany Garden Club is what makes everything possible.
In addition, the garden club won second in the state for the P.O.W. award, which is for the Deep South Unified Regional Project: “Protecting Our World…Living Green – Living Clean.”
There were many first place awards presented to the club, including a youth award for a poetry contest with New Albany Elementary School first grader Francisco Rivera as the winner. The club also received first place in Deep South for Rivera’s poem. In other youth awards, the poster contest winners were Bryan Heredia, first grade, second place; Aaron Scales, third grade, third place; Megan Whiteside, fifth grade, third place.
In Deep South Region awards, the club won first place in Horticulture and Junior Garden Club, second in Environmental Education, and third in Litter Control.
In state awards, the club received three first place awards, including Backyard Wildlife Habitat, Outstanding Horticultural Activities, and Environmental Education. Two second place awards were the Carrie Avent Bird award and the M.B. Self award. The honorable mention awards are for the press book, the yearbook, the Garden Therapy program, and Special Achievement (Garden Club of the Year).
Grace Provence, former president of the club, said that she was very proud of the awards that the club received and wishes continued success for the club.
The Deep South Region includes the states Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...