Roger McMillin will be hard to replace as the attorney for the City of New Albany.
Oh, we’re certain there will be lawyers who want the job, but it is doubtful the city will be able to find an attorney with the breadth of experience in municipal law and the understanding of issues affecting New Albany.
McMillin, whose resignation is effective July 1, has accepted a job with Morris and McDaniel, an international human resources consulting firm based in Alexandria, Va.
McMillin will not be moving away from his home in New Albany, but will be traveling for the company, handling projects in the U.S.
McMillin worked for the company doing contract work in Iraq before taking the city attorney job in February of last year. The company, whose president is New Albany native David Morris, does extensive human resources work, including police testing, promotional testing and other consulting.
The city of New Albany has benefited from McMillin’s work twice. He was city attorney from approximately 1982 to 1985. Soon after resigning, he was elected to the Mississippi Court of Appeals, where he served two terms. He returned to the city last year after the resignation of Bobby Carter as the city attorney.
McMillin was a real find for the city, both in terms of experience and cost. Because he receives state retirement, he could only earn about $24,000 a year representing New Albany.
His replacement is expected to cost more, although the Board of Aldermen has yet to discuss the payment terms for a successor.
McMillin was a perfect fit for our community and it is our loss that he is leaving.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...