Roger McMillin will be hard to replace as the attorney for the City of New Albany.
Oh, we’re certain there will be lawyers who want the job, but it is doubtful the city will be able to find an attorney with the breadth of experience in municipal law and the understanding of issues affecting New Albany.
McMillin, whose resignation is effective July 1, has accepted a job with Morris and McDaniel, an international human resources consulting firm based in Alexandria, Va.
McMillin will not be moving away from his home in New Albany, but will be traveling for the company, handling projects in the U.S.
McMillin worked for the company doing contract work in Iraq before taking the city attorney job in February of last year. The company, whose president is New Albany native David Morris, does extensive human resources work, including police testing, promotional testing and other consulting.
The city of New Albany has benefited from McMillin’s work twice. He was city attorney from approximately 1982 to 1985. Soon after resigning, he was elected to the Mississippi Court of Appeals, where he served two terms. He returned to the city last year after the resignation of Bobby Carter as the city attorney.
McMillin was a real find for the city, both in terms of experience and cost. Because he receives state retirement, he could only earn about $24,000 a year representing New Albany.
His replacement is expected to cost more, although the Board of Aldermen has yet to discuss the payment terms for a successor.
McMillin was a perfect fit for our community and it is our loss that he is leaving.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...