Our community is undergoing a spate of vandalism that is beyond typical summertime pranks.
In late May vandals used paint pens to write words and symbols on the brick pavers at the veterans memorial at the New Albany Sportsplex.
In addition, one of the lights that illuminates the American flag at the monument was destroyed.
And then last weekend vandals damaged nearly all of the 200 gravestones at the Union Hill cemetery in Myrtle.
The graves were desecrated either by knocking over tombstones or breaking them into pieces.
No one has been charged in either incident. Anyone with knowledge of the veterans incident should call New Albany City Hall a 662-534-6321. Tips that could lead to the perpetrators of the grave desecration should call the Union County Sheriff’s Department at 662-534-1941.
We consider these acts worse than the bubba bashing of mailboxes that occurs from time to time, especially in our rural areas.
These latest incidents are aimed at those who have served our country in the armed forces and the deceased relatives of our Union County families. They are deplorable.
We need to be especially vigilant in keeping an eye on our monuments and grave sites.
Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...