Our community is undergoing a spate of vandalism that is beyond typical summertime pranks.
In late May vandals used paint pens to write words and symbols on the brick pavers at the veterans memorial at the New Albany Sportsplex.
In addition, one of the lights that illuminates the American flag at the monument was destroyed.
And then last weekend vandals damaged nearly all of the 200 gravestones at the Union Hill cemetery in Myrtle.
The graves were desecrated either by knocking over tombstones or breaking them into pieces.
No one has been charged in either incident. Anyone with knowledge of the veterans incident should call New Albany City Hall a 662-534-6321. Tips that could lead to the perpetrators of the grave desecration should call the Union County Sheriff’s Department at 662-534-1941.
We consider these acts worse than the bubba bashing of mailboxes that occurs from time to time, especially in our rural areas.
These latest incidents are aimed at those who have served our country in the armed forces and the deceased relatives of our Union County families. They are deplorable.
We need to be especially vigilant in keeping an eye on our monuments and grave sites.
Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...