Our community is undergoing a spate of vandalism that is beyond typical summertime pranks.
In late May vandals used paint pens to write words and symbols on the brick pavers at the veterans memorial at the New Albany Sportsplex.
In addition, one of the lights that illuminates the American flag at the monument was destroyed.
And then last weekend vandals damaged nearly all of the 200 gravestones at the Union Hill cemetery in Myrtle.
The graves were desecrated either by knocking over tombstones or breaking them into pieces.
No one has been charged in either incident. Anyone with knowledge of the veterans incident should call New Albany City Hall a 662-534-6321. Tips that could lead to the perpetrators of the grave desecration should call the Union County Sheriff’s Department at 662-534-1941.
We consider these acts worse than the bubba bashing of mailboxes that occurs from time to time, especially in our rural areas.
These latest incidents are aimed at those who have served our country in the armed forces and the deceased relatives of our Union County families. They are deplorable.
We need to be especially vigilant in keeping an eye on our monuments and grave sites.
Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...