Our community is undergoing a spate of vandalism that is beyond typical summertime pranks.
In late May vandals used paint pens to write words and symbols on the brick pavers at the veterans memorial at the New Albany Sportsplex.
In addition, one of the lights that illuminates the American flag at the monument was destroyed.
And then last weekend vandals damaged nearly all of the 200 gravestones at the Union Hill cemetery in Myrtle.
The graves were desecrated either by knocking over tombstones or breaking them into pieces.
No one has been charged in either incident. Anyone with knowledge of the veterans incident should call New Albany City Hall a 662-534-6321. Tips that could lead to the perpetrators of the grave desecration should call the Union County Sheriff’s Department at 662-534-1941.
We consider these acts worse than the bubba bashing of mailboxes that occurs from time to time, especially in our rural areas.
These latest incidents are aimed at those who have served our country in the armed forces and the deceased relatives of our Union County families. They are deplorable.
We need to be especially vigilant in keeping an eye on our monuments and grave sites.
Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday