Quarterback battle is on for Bulldogs
Two quarterbacks continue to stand out and remain the focus for New Albany this offseason, as the Bulldogs are in the middle of their June 7-on-7 workouts in Oxford.
Spencer Day and Lawrence Zinn rotated possessions in scrimmages against Oxford and Tunica Academy on Tuesday, and at this point, there is no clear starter, although Head Coach Ron Price admitted both will see playing time at the position in the fall.
“Both are competing in the weight room and on the field, and like tonight, they’re both out there competing to be the guy in the huddle every series, and I like that,” he said. “Hopefully each will continue to get better, and at some point during the season, both are going to play quarterback.”
“We just want both to be ready and right now we just want the team to be confident in both and know that either can lead us to victory on Friday night.”
Overall, Price is pleased with the turnout for summer workouts, averaging 63 to 68 each day, and the team travels to Oxford High each Monday, facing different opponents.
“We’ve got to continue to mature as a football team and continue to push them mentally and physically in the weight room so that they’ll know how to overcome obstacles in the fall,” Price said. “7-on-7 has been good for us; we’ve done some good things and some bad things. It’s good that they’re able to go out against other teams and see how they measure up throwing and catching the football. We’re taking advantage of every day this summer and trying to get better before August.”
New Albany will continue to compete weekly in Oxford for the remainder of the month and will travel to Vardaman this weekend for an eight team, double elimination tournament. The Bulldogs will wrap-up 7-on-7 workouts, participating in the Under Armour Tournament in Oxford July 8-9.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- New Furniture Academy will give workers head start toward jobs, better pay January 18, 2017
- The Playhouse January 19, 2017
- Lady Bulldogs shutout Caledonia in playoff opener January 24, 2017
- Robertson’s Lady Challenge celebrates 20th annual tournament January 24, 2017
- Falcons fall in closing seconds to Bearcats January 24, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...