Quarterback battle is on for Bulldogs
Two quarterbacks continue to stand out and remain the focus for New Albany this offseason, as the Bulldogs are in the middle of their June 7-on-7 workouts in Oxford.
Spencer Day and Lawrence Zinn rotated possessions in scrimmages against Oxford and Tunica Academy on Tuesday, and at this point, there is no clear starter, although Head Coach Ron Price admitted both will see playing time at the position in the fall.
“Both are competing in the weight room and on the field, and like tonight, they’re both out there competing to be the guy in the huddle every series, and I like that,” he said. “Hopefully each will continue to get better, and at some point during the season, both are going to play quarterback.”
“We just want both to be ready and right now we just want the team to be confident in both and know that either can lead us to victory on Friday night.”
Overall, Price is pleased with the turnout for summer workouts, averaging 63 to 68 each day, and the team travels to Oxford High each Monday, facing different opponents.
“We’ve got to continue to mature as a football team and continue to push them mentally and physically in the weight room so that they’ll know how to overcome obstacles in the fall,” Price said. “7-on-7 has been good for us; we’ve done some good things and some bad things. It’s good that they’re able to go out against other teams and see how they measure up throwing and catching the football. We’re taking advantage of every day this summer and trying to get better before August.”
New Albany will continue to compete weekly in Oxford for the remainder of the month and will travel to Vardaman this weekend for an eight team, double elimination tournament. The Bulldogs will wrap-up 7-on-7 workouts, participating in the Under Armour Tournament in Oxford July 8-9.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...