Rascals win two during weekend slate
Tallahatchie remains in second place, picking up two weekend wins against Tupelo and Golden Triangle.
In the game against the Thunder, a nine-run inning helped the Rascals to a 15-10 win, despite a late rally by Tupelo.
Down 1-0 in the second, the Thunder allowed six hits, three walks and hit two batters, leading to nine Rascal runs. Josh Chism and Trae Allison each had RBI doubles, with Chism scoring two runs.
Tupelo, later down 11-4 in the fifth, scored six runs, making it a one-run game. Tallahatchie’s Cameron Rose, pitching in relief of Beau Cummings, allowed the six runs off five walks and only one hit before he was replaced by Hunter Mize for the remainder of the game. Ryan Maxwell and Hunter Kulas each had RBI hits in the inning for the Thunder.
The Rascals added four insurance runs in the bottom of the fifth, while Mize struck out five and closed out the win on the mound.
Cummings had the win for Tallahatchie, allowing four runs off one hit, and also picked up the win for the Rascals in their 7-4 win against the Jets on Sunday. The Northeast Community College pitcher is currently third in league ERA standings at 1.08 in 16.2 innings pitched and a 2-2 record.
Ben Wallis and Collin Dore’ each had three hits in the Rascals win over the Jets, as the team scored six unanswered after trailing 4-1 through three innings.
Cummings pitched three innings, allowing one hit with three strikeouts as the Rascals improved to 4-3-1.
Tallahatchie dropped the second game of its Saturday doubleheader, 4-2, to Tippah County, as Jonathan Jeanice allowed only three hits for the Rascals.
Tallahatchie will take on the Thunder this Thursday and Saturday and cap their Saturday doubleheader against the Jets.
Tupelo and Tippah County postponed
Tupelo and North Delta combined for nine hits in the Dealers low-scoring 1-0 win against the Thunder on Saturday.
Going into the top of the fifth, the Dealers had only one hit, and after Jonathan Andrews reached on an error, Josh Hopkins recorded North Delta’s second hit, which plated Andrews.
Jeremy Massie and Bronson Smith each pitched complete games, and Massie had eight strikeouts for the Dealers. The win was one of two on the weekend for the Dealers, who also defeated Tippah County, 6-2, on Sunday.
Brent Langston and Landan Cloud each had two hits for the Dealers while Ethan Sanderlin earned the win on the mound, pitching four innings with seven strikeouts. Ben Hellums had the save, but allowed the Tribe’s two runs in the fifth.
Caleb Hanley led the Thunder (2-5) with two hits.
On Thursday, the Thunder and Tribe were delayed due to lightning after playing six complete and the score tied at four.
Jimel Judon had two hits, scoring one of the Tribe’s runs with his double in the third inning. Judon now has three doubles on the season while batting .450 with six runs batted in.
The two teams will complete their game on Thursday, June 30 before their scheduled match-up that evening.
This weekend will open with a triple header at 1 p.m. between Rascals and Thunder followed by the Rascals and the Jets. North Delta and Tippah County will close the day with their contest at 6 p.m.
On Sunday, the Thunder and Dealers will begin at 1:30 p.m. followed by the Van Atkins Game of the Week, the Tribe and Jets, at 4 p.m.
For a complete CSBL schedule, visit their website, www.cottonstatesleague.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...