West Union gym gets a face lift
West Union will mark the 50th anniversary of the school this fall, and when the celebration takes place in September, the school will also dedicate a remodeled gym, which is receiving an overhaul this summer.
As part of the Union County School District’s effort to improve the gymnasium at each school, West Union is not only getting a new floor, but also new stands, which are currently being placed. The total cost for this project, including the floor, removal of old bleachers and placement of new ones and design tops out at round $125,000 for the district, but this is only the second gym floor the school, as the same one has been in place for the entire duration of the school.
“We mapped out which school needed the work the most, and that was Myrtle two years ago,” Union County Superintendent Ken Basil said. “After that, Ingomar received theirs last summer, and for West Union, the bleachers and floor were both needed this summer. East Union will be the last one worked on, and the board will make a decision after Christmas as to whether they will have theirs placed next summer or if we will wait one more year since their floor and bleachers are currently in good shape.”
The project at West Union is expected to be complete in time for the new school year.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...