County schools work on weight rooms
Keeping up with competition is important, and the Union County School District is doing its part to stay on par with others in the state, adding and improving weight rooms at each of the schools.
“Our goal is to make sure that every athlete in the county has the chance to work out in the weight room,” Superintendent Ken Basil said. “In some ways, we’re behind athletically because our kids are not in the weight room, and this will help them become bigger and stronger, allowing them to remain competitive.”
Union County Head Football Coach Scott Duley is directing the county with the new program, providing weight training plans that other coaches will adjust and apply to their respective program. Basil stressed the importance weight training, a program that has become bigger in recent years.
“When I coached, it was not as important as it is today,” he said. “Our coaches have seen first hand what it can do, and if we want to stay competitive, this is the step we need to take.”
Approximately $25,000 was issued to both Ingomar and Myrtle to establish buildings that will house the new weight rooms, while East Union and West Union received between $5,000 and $7,000 geared toward improvements. The money was provided for materials, such as lighting, mirrors and mats in order to improve the already existing rooms at both schools.
Basil stressed that the equipment will benefit all athletes in the county, not just the co-op football program. Each school is working toward having their rooms ready by the beginning of the school year.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...