Support the county fair
The Union County Fair and Livestock Show, which bills itself as “the best little county fair in Mississippi, kicks off its 70th anniversary year tomorrow at the fairgrounds.
For many families, this is the favorite event of the year in New Albany.
It brings together about 16,000 people. Most are from the local area, but others come from other places and take advantage of our hospitality in local restaurants and hotels. And it brings together dozens of volunteers, who make the event possible.
Stanley Wise, director of the Union County Extension Service, describes the fair this way:
“The Union County Fair is a place to visit old friends and neighbors, participate in events, learn from the educational exhibits and demonstrations, see the handiwork of home and youth, enjoy a variety of foods including traditional carnival fare like cotton candy and caramel apples and experience the cultural flavor of north Mississippi.”
This year, as a community service, the Gazette agreed to produce a full-color glossy guide to the fair, which was included in Wednesday’s paper. The Gazette also provided the 80-page guide to the fair to pass out to those who attend.
We take pride in our county fair and think it deserves our – and – your support.
See you at the fair.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...