Health Fair next weekend
It’s back-to-school time next week and that means it is also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi.
On Saturday, Aug. 13, Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will be sponsoring its Back-to-School Health Fair for children from 4 to 12 years old.
More than 1,000 people, including about 400 children, are expected at the hospital for a free health check, dental check, vision screening and a variety of other activities.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal of the fair is to catch early health problems, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
“The event is part of Baptist Union County’s commitment to serving the needs of our community, and pediatrics is a primary focus for us,” she said.
In addition to the screenings, educational information will be available on topics such as backpack safety, germ control, immunizations, internet safety, nutrition, sun safety, seatbelt safety, and dental care.
A helicopter, ambulance, fire truck and law enforcement vehicles will be on display. The hospital also will be offering free hotdogs, drinks, popcorn and snowcones.
“We’ll even have a teddy-clinic,” she said, so children may bring their bear or doll.
This program, which has been going on 22 years at the hospital, is another example of the importance of having a responsible, non-profit hospital in our community. Baptist puts its focus on community health, not profit.
We’re fortunate to have such a hospital in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...