Health Fair next weekend
It’s back-to-school time next week and that means it is also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi.
On Saturday, Aug. 13, Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will be sponsoring its Back-to-School Health Fair for children from 4 to 12 years old.
More than 1,000 people, including about 400 children, are expected at the hospital for a free health check, dental check, vision screening and a variety of other activities.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal of the fair is to catch early health problems, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
“The event is part of Baptist Union County’s commitment to serving the needs of our community, and pediatrics is a primary focus for us,” she said.
In addition to the screenings, educational information will be available on topics such as backpack safety, germ control, immunizations, internet safety, nutrition, sun safety, seatbelt safety, and dental care.
A helicopter, ambulance, fire truck and law enforcement vehicles will be on display. The hospital also will be offering free hotdogs, drinks, popcorn and snowcones.
“We’ll even have a teddy-clinic,” she said, so children may bring their bear or doll.
This program, which has been going on 22 years at the hospital, is another example of the importance of having a responsible, non-profit hospital in our community. Baptist puts its focus on community health, not profit.
We’re fortunate to have such a hospital in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...