Health Fair next weekend
It’s back-to-school time next week and that means it is also time for one of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi.
On Saturday, Aug. 13, Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will be sponsoring its Back-to-School Health Fair for children from 4 to 12 years old.
More than 1,000 people, including about 400 children, are expected at the hospital for a free health check, dental check, vision screening and a variety of other activities.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal of the fair is to catch early health problems, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
“The event is part of Baptist Union County’s commitment to serving the needs of our community, and pediatrics is a primary focus for us,” she said.
In addition to the screenings, educational information will be available on topics such as backpack safety, germ control, immunizations, internet safety, nutrition, sun safety, seatbelt safety, and dental care.
A helicopter, ambulance, fire truck and law enforcement vehicles will be on display. The hospital also will be offering free hotdogs, drinks, popcorn and snowcones.
“We’ll even have a teddy-clinic,” she said, so children may bring their bear or doll.
This program, which has been going on 22 years at the hospital, is another example of the importance of having a responsible, non-profit hospital in our community. Baptist puts its focus on community health, not profit.
We’re fortunate to have such a hospital in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...