Local family loses home in blaze
A house fire last Thursday afternoon left one New Albany family without a home, New Albany firefighters said.
According to Mark Whiteside with the New Albany Fire Department, the residents of one side of a Glade Street duplex lost everything in a blaze in the early afternoon of Aug. 4.
“The house fire broke out at 508 and 510 Glade Street,” Whiteside said. “Fire crews were dispatched at 1:23 p.m. and reported seeing heavy smoke while enroute to the scene. Upon arrival, crews reported heavy fire coming from the rear of the structure with heavy smoke throughout.”
While 510 Glade St. was unoccupied, Kashyanna Simmons, a resident of 508 Glade St. said she was watching television in the back room when, suddenly, the air conditioner caught on fire.
Whiteside said the one crew entered Simmons’ residence to fight the fire, while a second crew entered the unoccupied side of the duplex to prevent the fire from spreading.
“One resident was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County for smoke inhalation and was treated and released,” Whiteside said.
Three other members of Simmons’ family, including her mother Megan Thomas, Omariun Thomas, 7 and Amiracle Woods, 6, also resided in the duplex.
Whiteside said that extreme heat took a toll on some of the firefighters at the scene.
“No serious injuries to fire personnel were reported, but two firefighters were checked at the scene, due to heat-related issues,” Whiteside said. “Due to temperatures in excess of 100 degrees, an EMS crew was sent to the scene to monitor fire personnel.”
Whiteside said that fire crews remained on the scene for two and a half hours before the blaze was said to be under control. The structure of the duplex and contents sustained heavy damage, he said.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert