School opens, slow down
School started this week in both New Albany and Union County and we are concerned about whether drivers are being extra careful.
We see drivers speeding through residential areas (and even school zones) at 35 to 45 miles per hour, often while talking on cell phones. That is too fast in residential areas at any time of year, but becomes especially problematic during the school year.
When the school year starts, we also have more teenage drivers on the road during morning commute time. We’re not against students driving to school, but it behooves the rest of us to be extra careful to help prevent an accident.
We also are seeing more drivers of all ages texting while driving, an activity that easily can result in tragic consequences.
Another difficult problem this year is the condition of Highway 15 in New Albany. Construction is underway the entire length of the route through the city, and the biggest mess at the moment appears to be the stretch of road in front of New Albany High School.
All of us need to slow down on Highway 15 and be courteous about allowing drivers to enter or exit the highway over the ragged edges of the highway.
We also need a reminder about stopped school buses.
It is unlawful to pass a stopped school bus from either direction while the bus has its red lights flashing. This is a particular problem in rural areas where children often have to cross a busy highway after getting off the bus.
We want our schools and our children to have a safe year. All of us have a role in making that happen.
About Chris Elkins
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert