School opens, slow down
School started this week in both New Albany and Union County and we are concerned about whether drivers are being extra careful.
We see drivers speeding through residential areas (and even school zones) at 35 to 45 miles per hour, often while talking on cell phones. That is too fast in residential areas at any time of year, but becomes especially problematic during the school year.
When the school year starts, we also have more teenage drivers on the road during morning commute time. We’re not against students driving to school, but it behooves the rest of us to be extra careful to help prevent an accident.
We also are seeing more drivers of all ages texting while driving, an activity that easily can result in tragic consequences.
Another difficult problem this year is the condition of Highway 15 in New Albany. Construction is underway the entire length of the route through the city, and the biggest mess at the moment appears to be the stretch of road in front of New Albany High School.
All of us need to slow down on Highway 15 and be courteous about allowing drivers to enter or exit the highway over the ragged edges of the highway.
We also need a reminder about stopped school buses.
It is unlawful to pass a stopped school bus from either direction while the bus has its red lights flashing. This is a particular problem in rural areas where children often have to cross a busy highway after getting off the bus.
We want our schools and our children to have a safe year. All of us have a role in making that happen.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...