County teams open slow pitch season
Union County opened the 2011 softball season on Saturday with Myrtle and East Union holding preseason tournaments.
At Myrtle, New Albany picked up two wins, defeating West Union 11-4 in the day’s first game and Wheeler, 3-0.
Against the Lady Eagles, Morgan Beaty had four hits, including two doubles and two RBI. After going ahead 1-0 in the first, New Albany scored seven runs in the second, recording six straight hits.
Megan Dye, Lauren Cavender, Kayla Pavlick, Shaneka Cullins and Shannon Goode all had multiple hits for New Albany, while Juliana Garner had two doubles and Grace Rutledge two singles for West Union.
Against Wheeler, Pavlick had three hits in the 3-0 win. Cullins and Quinlan Amos had RBI singles in the sixth and seventh innings for the Lady ‘Dawgs, and Morgan Beaty, Amber Mirfield and Cullins each had two hits.
West Union finished the day at 1-1 after picking up a 15-5 win over Hickory Flat.
The host team Lady Hawks also picked up two wins, defeating Falkner, 10-3, and Hickory Flat, 10-0.
Breanna Brassell had three hits, including an RBI single in the first, to lead Myrtle. Allie Bishop scored the game’s first points with her two RBI double, and she was one of five Lady Hawks with two hits in the win.
Kiana Judon had a three-run home run in the first inning of Myrtle’s 10-0 win against Hickory Flat and added a two-run double in the fourth.
Myrtle added three runs in the second with Meshay Cox hitting an RBI double. Cox and Judon each finished with two hits.
East Union dropped the two games of their tournament, 12-4 to North Pontotoc and 12-11 in eight innings to Pine Grove.
The Lady Urchins fought from behind against the Lady Panthers, scoring seven runs over the fifth and sixth innings to tie the game after falling behind 11-4.
In the fifth, Pine Grove walked three batters to load the bases with one out, and Stephanie Hardy hit a RBI single followed by two errors that scored four runs. Rachel Elder and Brittany Prewitt brought in the two runs in the sixth to tie the game, and Pine Grove had four hits in the eighth, including a bases loaded single that eventually gave them the win.
Alie Hanie, Elder and Gabbi Kiddy had multiple hits for East Union, and Hardy had two hits for the Lady Urchins in their loss to North Pontotoc.
New Albany and West Union will next play on Monday, with the Lady Bulldogs hosting Corinth and the Lady Eagles traveling to South Pontotoc. East Union will host Falkner, Myrtle will travel to New Albany and Ingomar will play North Pontotoc on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...