County teams open slow pitch season
Union County opened the 2011 softball season on Saturday with Myrtle and East Union holding preseason tournaments.
At Myrtle, New Albany picked up two wins, defeating West Union 11-4 in the day’s first game and Wheeler, 3-0.
Against the Lady Eagles, Morgan Beaty had four hits, including two doubles and two RBI. After going ahead 1-0 in the first, New Albany scored seven runs in the second, recording six straight hits.
Megan Dye, Lauren Cavender, Kayla Pavlick, Shaneka Cullins and Shannon Goode all had multiple hits for New Albany, while Juliana Garner had two doubles and Grace Rutledge two singles for West Union.
Against Wheeler, Pavlick had three hits in the 3-0 win. Cullins and Quinlan Amos had RBI singles in the sixth and seventh innings for the Lady ‘Dawgs, and Morgan Beaty, Amber Mirfield and Cullins each had two hits.
West Union finished the day at 1-1 after picking up a 15-5 win over Hickory Flat.
The host team Lady Hawks also picked up two wins, defeating Falkner, 10-3, and Hickory Flat, 10-0.
Breanna Brassell had three hits, including an RBI single in the first, to lead Myrtle. Allie Bishop scored the game’s first points with her two RBI double, and she was one of five Lady Hawks with two hits in the win.
Kiana Judon had a three-run home run in the first inning of Myrtle’s 10-0 win against Hickory Flat and added a two-run double in the fourth.
Myrtle added three runs in the second with Meshay Cox hitting an RBI double. Cox and Judon each finished with two hits.
East Union dropped the two games of their tournament, 12-4 to North Pontotoc and 12-11 in eight innings to Pine Grove.
The Lady Urchins fought from behind against the Lady Panthers, scoring seven runs over the fifth and sixth innings to tie the game after falling behind 11-4.
In the fifth, Pine Grove walked three batters to load the bases with one out, and Stephanie Hardy hit a RBI single followed by two errors that scored four runs. Rachel Elder and Brittany Prewitt brought in the two runs in the sixth to tie the game, and Pine Grove had four hits in the eighth, including a bases loaded single that eventually gave them the win.
Alie Hanie, Elder and Gabbi Kiddy had multiple hits for East Union, and Hardy had two hits for the Lady Urchins in their loss to North Pontotoc.
New Albany and West Union will next play on Monday, with the Lady Bulldogs hosting Corinth and the Lady Eagles traveling to South Pontotoc. East Union will host Falkner, Myrtle will travel to New Albany and Ingomar will play North Pontotoc on Tuesday.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...