A night out in our town
We hear comments from time to time that there are not many night-time social events in New Albany. Some in the community say they have to go to Tupelo or Oxford if they want to do something in the evening.
True or not, that’s a common perception. That’s why we’re excited about a new event set for this Friday night by the New Albany Main Street Association. It’s called “Arts, Beats & Eats.”
It’s an evening of art, music and food, and a chance to hob-nob with friends in a social setting. It will be from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. in the event hall of In Bloom on Bankhead Street in downtown New Albany. Tickets are $10; call 662-534-3438 for more information.
Local artists will have their artwork on display (and for sale), restaurants will be offering food specialties from their menus, and Jason Wilbanks will be playing the classical guitar.
Eateries that are participating include Sugaree’s Bakery, Tallahatchie Gourmet, Nichol’s Food & Deli, Pizza Pit, Vainisi’s, Jackson’s Butcher Block, Small Gatherings, Coffee Addict, The Shak and Taylor’s Fish & Steak.
“It’s the first event we have had like this,” Vickie Duke, the association’s manager, said. “One of our goals is to expand our events and help grow the arts in the community.”
We think our community can support a few sort of dressy, upscale events.
Friday night should be a good opportunity to see friends and have a good time. Why not put “Arts, Beats & Eats” on this week’s social calendar?
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...