United Way drive begins
The United Way has kicked off its 2011 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi.
The goal this year is $2,200,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest charity drive.
What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This past year we had a significant increase in giving from the county and $91,250 was distributed to agencies that benefit Union County. The prior year $62,000 was distributed here.
Hugh Tate of BNA Bank is heading up the Union County drive this year and he has a pretty big number to beat. We’re confident he can do that with our help.
The largest benefactors this year were the Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $20,000, Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven Center with $11,000 and the Salvation Army with $7,000. Twenty-one other agencies shared the rest.
Although giving from our county has been increasing, it still is below where it logically should be for a county of our size. The United Way system for charitable giving is built largely around deducting small amounts from the paychecks of employees who want to do their part in helping those in need in the community. Getting companies to participate in the effort is the key.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We hope you will do your part and give what you can.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...