United Way drive begins
The United Way has kicked off its 2011 campaign across the seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi.
The goal this year is $2,200,000, slightly more than the goal last year, but not an unreachable number if everyone does his or her part in support of our largest charity drive.
What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This past year we had a significant increase in giving from the county and $91,250 was distributed to agencies that benefit Union County. The prior year $62,000 was distributed here.
Hugh Tate of BNA Bank is heading up the Union County drive this year and he has a pretty big number to beat. We’re confident he can do that with our help.
The largest benefactors this year were the Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $20,000, Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven Center with $11,000 and the Salvation Army with $7,000. Twenty-one other agencies shared the rest.
Although giving from our county has been increasing, it still is below where it logically should be for a county of our size. The United Way system for charitable giving is built largely around deducting small amounts from the paychecks of employees who want to do their part in helping those in need in the community. Getting companies to participate in the effort is the key.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We hope you will do your part and give what you can.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...