Tigers set for season opener against Warriors
Northeast Mississippi Community College head football coach Ricky Smither and company have waited all summer for this week's season opener at Tiger Stadium against East Central Community College and the time has finally arrived.
Northeast will host East Central in Booneville Thursday, September 1 in hopes of starting its 2011 season off on the right foot. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
“We have been working extremely hard in preparing for the season and I think these guys are ready to play,” Smither said. “Our guys have been going at each other for several weeks now and I think they are ready to go after someone else for a change and that is a good thing.”
Since Smither's tenure as head coach began in 2008, Northeast has not fared well against the Warriors with East Central boasting a 2-1 series record over the Tigers.
In Smither’s first meeting with East Central, the Warriors defeated the Tigers in Booneville 38-7 and in 2009 East Central completed two 'Hail Mary' passes that helped propel the game to overtime, where East Central pulled offthe win 34-28 in Decatur.
However, in 2010, Smither's squad traveled back to Warrior Stadium and was out for revenge and came away with a convincing 34-6 win.
“East Central has some great players, we know that they will come here and have a chip on their shoulder from last year, so we got to be ready to defend our home,” explained Smither.
East Central leads the overall series 21-9 dating back to the first time the two teams met in 1949 and last year's victory over the Warriors was the first for Northeast in thirteen years.
In 1997, the Tigers defeated the Warriors 9-3.
Fans can listen to all the action beginning at 6:50 p.m. by logging onto http://www.teamline.cc/teampage?teamcode=1452, then clicking on football.
Fans can also listen to the live play-by-play from any telephone for $5 per game. Toaccess games via any telephone, dial 1-216-502-3200. Enter teamcode 1452 when prompted. Long distance charges may apply depending on long distance plan or provider.
For more information on how to buy tickets or how to tune-in to Northeast football in 2011, contact Joseph Miller at 662-720-7300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...