Events that boost area
Two recent events in New Albany struck us as the kind of activities we could use more of in our community.
The first was the Arts, Beats and Eats event held in the meeting hall at In Bloom. It was an evening of good food supplied by our town’s community-spirited eateries, combined with displays by some of our better local artists and music by Jason Wilbanks and his group.
What a nice time! More than 80 people turned out for the gathering sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association. It’s a tribute to Vickie Duke, Main Street manager, who agreed to give the event a try, and Mary Jennifer Russell, owner of Sugaree’s, who suggested the idea.
The second was the Business After Hours open house and reception at the Holiday Inn Express. Local business people were on hand for good food, beer, soft drinks and conversation with Sunny Sethi, whose family owns the hotel, and national and regional Holiday Inn executives. (The only glitch was the absence of our area state, county and city elected officials. What were they thinking?)
We need more of these kinds of events.
Lots of communities have monthly Business After Hours and arts-oriented events. Usually they last a couple of hours and are organized by the chamber of commerce or other business group. Typically, businesses sign up to host and help pay for finger foods, soft drinks and beer or wine. Often, there is music and a small admission fee.
We think New Albany could sustain a monthly event. Because we do not have a chamber, we think some of our progressive merchants and businesses should lead the way.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...