Northeast softball sets reunion date
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s softball program is all about family.
That’s the reason Northeast head softball coach Jody Long is spearheading the second annual Northeast softball alumni game on Sunday, October 9 at 1:30 p.m.
“At a reunion, it is an opportunity to keep that connection between that family,” Long said. “Whether someone has moved on from the 2011 season or if they moved on in the 90s, it’s all about keeping the connection.”
Keeping the connection is a way for not only Long’s current players to relate to some of the successful players of the past but also learn about the program as well.
“We have former players that are coaches; a lot have gone on and played at other schools,” Long said. “We want them to come back and share their experience with the younger players.”
One thing that the younger players will get the opportunity to experience is playing against the alumni in a ‘bragging rights’ game.
Last year, the current team edged out a two-run win against a team of former players that included players from Northeast’s slow-pitch softball days to the 2010 team.
“This is not a money generating event for us,” Long said. “We want this to be what our former players and people that are part of the program want it to be.”
However, Long sees more than one advantage to hosting the second annual alumni softball game.
“First and foremost, it allows us an opportunity to play someone else,” Long said. “It’s also an opportunity to bring people back together.”
Last year’s inaugural event saw over 30 former Northeast Lady Tigers take to the field at Booneville City Park and Long is hoping for a larger crowd this year.
“Everyone seemed to enjoy it and have fun,” Long said. “That’s what the day is about. It’s all about family.”
But Long does request one thing from the family, while pre-registration is not required Long does highly recommend it to former players so that they can be recognized before the festivities.
For more information about Northeast’s second annual softball alumni game, contact Long at 662-720-7305 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...