Northeast softball sets reunion date
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s softball program is all about family.
That’s the reason Northeast head softball coach Jody Long is spearheading the second annual Northeast softball alumni game on Sunday, October 9 at 1:30 p.m.
“At a reunion, it is an opportunity to keep that connection between that family,” Long said. “Whether someone has moved on from the 2011 season or if they moved on in the 90s, it’s all about keeping the connection.”
Keeping the connection is a way for not only Long’s current players to relate to some of the successful players of the past but also learn about the program as well.
“We have former players that are coaches; a lot have gone on and played at other schools,” Long said. “We want them to come back and share their experience with the younger players.”
One thing that the younger players will get the opportunity to experience is playing against the alumni in a ‘bragging rights’ game.
Last year, the current team edged out a two-run win against a team of former players that included players from Northeast’s slow-pitch softball days to the 2010 team.
“This is not a money generating event for us,” Long said. “We want this to be what our former players and people that are part of the program want it to be.”
However, Long sees more than one advantage to hosting the second annual alumni softball game.
“First and foremost, it allows us an opportunity to play someone else,” Long said. “It’s also an opportunity to bring people back together.”
Last year’s inaugural event saw over 30 former Northeast Lady Tigers take to the field at Booneville City Park and Long is hoping for a larger crowd this year.
“Everyone seemed to enjoy it and have fun,” Long said. “That’s what the day is about. It’s all about family.”
But Long does request one thing from the family, while pre-registration is not required Long does highly recommend it to former players so that they can be recognized before the festivities.
For more information about Northeast’s second annual softball alumni game, contact Long at 662-720-7305 or email email@example.com
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...