Northeast softball sets reunion date
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s softball program is all about family.
That’s the reason Northeast head softball coach Jody Long is spearheading the second annual Northeast softball alumni game on Sunday, October 9 at 1:30 p.m.
“At a reunion, it is an opportunity to keep that connection between that family,” Long said. “Whether someone has moved on from the 2011 season or if they moved on in the 90s, it’s all about keeping the connection.”
Keeping the connection is a way for not only Long’s current players to relate to some of the successful players of the past but also learn about the program as well.
“We have former players that are coaches; a lot have gone on and played at other schools,” Long said. “We want them to come back and share their experience with the younger players.”
One thing that the younger players will get the opportunity to experience is playing against the alumni in a ‘bragging rights’ game.
Last year, the current team edged out a two-run win against a team of former players that included players from Northeast’s slow-pitch softball days to the 2010 team.
“This is not a money generating event for us,” Long said. “We want this to be what our former players and people that are part of the program want it to be.”
However, Long sees more than one advantage to hosting the second annual alumni softball game.
“First and foremost, it allows us an opportunity to play someone else,” Long said. “It’s also an opportunity to bring people back together.”
Last year’s inaugural event saw over 30 former Northeast Lady Tigers take to the field at Booneville City Park and Long is hoping for a larger crowd this year.
“Everyone seemed to enjoy it and have fun,” Long said. “That’s what the day is about. It’s all about family.”
But Long does request one thing from the family, while pre-registration is not required Long does highly recommend it to former players so that they can be recognized before the festivities.
For more information about Northeast’s second annual softball alumni game, contact Long at 662-720-7305 or email email@example.com
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...