City paid health care
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has voted to provide health care benefits for the city prosecuting attorney and city judge.
We think it is a case of bad personnel-management practice. The vote was 4 to 1 to add money for the benefits to the city budget for the coming fiscal year. Scott Dunnam, alderman-at-large, dissented.
Dunnam said he voted against the proposal because he considers them part-time positions and the city’s employee handbook stipulates that part-time jobs do not carry medical benefits.
Mayor Tim Kent said the other members of the board do not believe the jobs are part-time because they receive a small annual salary and are not paid by the hour. The city attorney already receives medical benefits, he said.
The decision to provide the prosecuting attorney and city judge health benefits at taxpayer expense came after the board voted earlier last month to hire former city attorney Bobby Carter as the city prosecutor. Steve Livingston currently serves as the city judge.
We don’t think any of the three jobs should include taxpayer-funded benefits. Attorneys serving in these positions are expected to have their own practices.
And it is uncommon for part-time employees in the private sector to be provided company-paid health care.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert