Tough road tests await UC
Hitting the field once more after a close loss to Biggersville last week, Union County prepares for a three-game road slate, beginning with Mantachie on Friday.
“They’re a little sluggish, which is to be expected, but being a very young program, it’s my job that we have to get past that and move on to the next week’s opponent,” UC coach Scott Duley said.
“We can’t have a hangover because we either won or lost a close game, you have to always be looking ahead to your next opponent and preparing for them like you did your previous opponent.”
The next two weeks will be among the toughest for Duley’s squad, facing the Mustangs, followed by a Sept. 16 match-up with Ripley.
“Mantachie is very strong. They have some strong young men, their line and their running backs.
Duley said. “They run a single wing offense, and they both run and pass the ball well. On defense, they’re very solid and know their responsibilities. I believe we can move the ball, but we have to be consistent, and we improved tremendously from our first game to our second, but we need to tackle well.”
Duley had the opportunity to scout Ripley in their season opener against New Albany, and Duley hopes to emphasize the fundamentals in preparation for that game.
“We’re going to have to do the little things well, our fundamentals are going to have to be sharp, so we’ll practice as much as possible on those fundamentals and be prepared for both of these opponents,” he said.
Mantachie (1-2) is coming off a 69-12 win over New Site. Friday night’s game is set for a 7:30 kickoff.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...