Tough road tests await UC
Hitting the field once more after a close loss to Biggersville last week, Union County prepares for a three-game road slate, beginning with Mantachie on Friday.
“They’re a little sluggish, which is to be expected, but being a very young program, it’s my job that we have to get past that and move on to the next week’s opponent,” UC coach Scott Duley said.
“We can’t have a hangover because we either won or lost a close game, you have to always be looking ahead to your next opponent and preparing for them like you did your previous opponent.”
The next two weeks will be among the toughest for Duley’s squad, facing the Mustangs, followed by a Sept. 16 match-up with Ripley.
“Mantachie is very strong. They have some strong young men, their line and their running backs.
Duley said. “They run a single wing offense, and they both run and pass the ball well. On defense, they’re very solid and know their responsibilities. I believe we can move the ball, but we have to be consistent, and we improved tremendously from our first game to our second, but we need to tackle well.”
Duley had the opportunity to scout Ripley in their season opener against New Albany, and Duley hopes to emphasize the fundamentals in preparation for that game.
“We’re going to have to do the little things well, our fundamentals are going to have to be sharp, so we’ll practice as much as possible on those fundamentals and be prepared for both of these opponents,” he said.
Mantachie (1-2) is coming off a 69-12 win over New Site. Friday night’s game is set for a 7:30 kickoff.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...