Recycling used bikes urged
I am a bike enthusiast and I have enjoyed the lifestyle that biking encourages. Last month my wife and I met two middle school children riding around New Albany on bikes much too small for them.
My wife commented we should give the young men the two bikes we had sitting in our garage. Both my wife and I are school teachers so we knew both of them and invited them to follow us home for the bikes. When they got to our house we pumped up the bikes, showed them how to adjust the brakes, seat, and gave them a DVD of the Tour de France in hopes that they would become avid cycling enthusiast.
The young men were so excited as they rode off. The next day my wife and I were driving to Walmart and we saw the students riding their bikes.
This leads me to why I am writing this letter. I would like to survey the New Albany community for their willingness to scrounge their basements, garages, and sheds for their old used bikes. Slightly tune them up to make them “rideable” (air in the tires, brakes functional) and, finally, call me. My phone number is 662-598-1030.
Once the bike is ready, please call me and I will connect your old bike with a child who will use it. There are multiple reasons why this is important: obesity prevention, longevity of life, and quality of life to mention a few.
Please include bikes of all sizes. Bikes for children from three years to 18 years: road bikes, mountain bikes, or hybrid bikes.
If I do not answer the phone please leave a message.
New Albany High School
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...