Shirley excels at State Games
A local runner had the opportunity to compete on one of the toughest off road cross country courses in the state and excelled as part of the State Games of Misssissippi.
West Union’s Savannah Shirley competed in the 5K last June, finishing first in the race, which earned her the honor as the cross country Athlete of the Year for the event.
“I was trying to get a head start on the year, get some races in, so that when the season started, I wouldn’t be behind,” Shirley said of the compettion.
Improving her overall time by three minutes in the last year, the eighth grader used the State Games as a boost for her summer workouts.
Training earlier in preparation for the new season, Shirley finished her first ever 5K with a time of 23:52.
Looking ahead, Shirley is looking forward to the new cross country season and helping the Lady Eagles defend their 1A state championship.
“It’s a good momentum boost,” she said. “We have a lot of competition this year in defending our state title, so we have to push a lot harder if we want to repeat.”
The State Games of Mississippi began in 1992 with 1200 athletes competing in 12 sports. It is a privately-sponsored, non-profit organization that promotes amateur athletics and healthy lifestyles for Mississippians of all ages and abilities, and Mississippi is one of 35 states that hold State Games competitions each year.
For more information on the State Games, visit their website at www.stategamesofms.org.
About Chris Elkins
- Hurricane news January 10, 2017
- Election commissioners take oath of office January 12, 2017
- Letter: Progress only happens when we all work together January 12, 2017
- Cong. Kelly named to Armed Services, Agriculture committees January 12, 2017
- Eastern Lights January 12, 2017
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- City school superintendent Jackie Ford to retire January 12, 2017
- 2017 Ingomar Homecoming Court January 12, 2017
- City school board seats newest member January 12, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...