Schools get report card
The state of Mississippi has released the results of its 2011 public school performance testing, and the rankings are encouraging for both the New Albany and Union County schools.
New Albany’s overall district score was 180 this year and the Union County district number was 169. Both numbers are good enough for the districts to be labeled “high performing” among the state’s public schools.
The most exciting news in the scores was New Albany High School’s score of 206, up from 192 last year. The school was one of 65 elementary, middle and high schools in the state to achieve “Star” school status, the highest performance category.
New Albany Elementary had a score of 185 and the middle school 174.
Dr. Charles Garrett, New Albany superintendent, said much of the credit for the high school improvement goes to Principal Lance Evans and the faculty.
“We think that our test scores reflect two things,” he said. “First, that our teachers are consistently working very hard with our students to understand the material and prepare them not only for the state tests, but for their future development as well and, second, the principals are working with our teachers and staff to provide an atmosphere of support in order to provide that quality education.”
Among the county schools, the highest score was achieved by the Myrtle Attendance Center with 174, followed by Ingomar and West Union at 169 and East Union at 167.
Overall, we are proud of our public schools in New Albany and Union County. We are fortunate to have strong schools where administrators, teachers and students understand the value of public education.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...