East Union secures playoff spot
Ashley Leach has come up with big hits for the Lady Urchins throughout the season, and added a three hit performance on Tuesday, helping East Union defeat Hickory Flat in five innings, 11-1.
The senior hit a double and triple to lead the team, and she also had a big home run in East Union’s game last week against Saltillo.
“She has hit the ball like I’ve never seen a kid hit the ball, and I love it and am glad she’s playing for me,” East Union coach Josh Blythe said. “Just natural talent, that’s all I can say.”
Hickory Flat scored their lone run in the first, and the Lady Urchins answered, taking a 2-1 lead in the bottom half of the inning.
A three-run triple by Tianna Castillo highlighted a seven-run third inning for East Union, and the Lady Urchins scored a run in both the fourth and fifth innings, ending the game in the fifth.
Leach led East Union (12-9, 3-2) with three hits and Callie Frazier had two hits.
The win helped the Lady Urchins stay in second place in its division, and after an 11-10 Walnut win over Strayhorn, East Union has secured second place, earning a playoff spot.
“This helps us. We’re in second right now, and it’s ours to lose, so I feel pretty good about that,” Blythe said. “No one can help us out; we’ve got to do our thing”
“The girls are really starting to hit the ball a lot better, and we have these first five kids really drilling the ball right now. We’re excited about that, and hopefully we can come out here swinging Thursday night.”
East Union hosted division leading Walnut on Thursday and will play in the Nettleton Tournament this weekend. The Lady Urchins will close the regular season with two games on the road next week.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Ollie Otter teaches kids to buckle up September 27, 2016
- Supervisors try again on bridge contract September 27, 2016
- Main Street drainage work delayed September 27, 2016
- NAES students study Constitution September 27, 2016
- Tell us what you want the news to be September 27, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...