NA increases tourism tax spending
With an expected increase of $25,000 in tourism revenue, the New Albany Board of Aldermen recently released its designations of $550,000 tourism monies toward several local projects.
The most noticeable change over last year’s budget is the board’s decision to give $88,000 to the Union County Development Association, as opposed to $6,000 in the 2010-2011 budget. The board determined that $36,000 will go toward the UCDA’s promotions, $5,000 will go toward the Freedom Celebration and $30,000 will go toward the Tallahatchie RiverFest. The city also pays $16,000 as one half of the tourism salaries and $1,000 to the Christmas parade.
The city will also give $96,225 to the Union County Heritage Museum for its operations, $42,000 to the New Albany Main Street for operations and the Keep New Albany Beautiful project, $2,500 to the Tallahatchie Arts Council for the annual Tupelo Symphony Orchestra concert, $83,640 to the Cine for operational costs and $88,866 to the City Beautification committee for landscape maintenance and other beautification projects.
The board did decline to grant $20,000 to the community group, CUSWIM, for a feasibility study for an aquatics facility.
The city also uses the funds to pay current notes, such as $98,000 for the Freedom Park, $14,000 for Tanglefoot Trail millage and $30,098 for the Sportsplex sign.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert