West Union ends season with home loss to East Union
East Union is using this week to prepare for their playoff run, handing West Union a season ending 11-6 loss on Tuesday.
“I told the kids that a week from today we're playing South Delta, first round of the playoffs, what's the importance of this game?,” coach Josh Blythe said. “Every pitch, every hit, every base we run, it will give us playoff experience and we need to play like it's playoff day. Unfortunately, we didn't do that as well as I wanted to, but fortunately West Union gave us some of that back defensively.”
A three run first inning put the Lady Urchins ahead early, but West Union came back in the third, scoring four runs to take a 5-3 lead. Led by an RBI single from Brittany Prewett in the fourth, East Union regained the lead, scoring four runs, and Tianna Castillo added a two-run double in the fifth. West Union scored one more run in the fifth, and had four players with multiple hits (Gina Beth Conlee, Bailey Bogue, Hannah McQuary and Brittany Taylor).
“Hats off to West Union, I thought they hit the ball tons better than they did the first time we saw them,” Blythe said. “They have a great program, and that's what I told my kids, are you happy with 17 wins on the year, because if you are, that's all you'll get.”
Correcting mental errors is what Blythe hopes to work on with his team, as they will close out the regular season at Falkner on Thursday.
“We've got to get better mentally, and that's what's killing us right now,” he said. “Physical ability, we can play, mental stuff is wearing us off. Until we break that hump, that's the key for us.”
Five Lady Urchins had multiple hits (Mallory Roberts, Prewett, Rachel Elder, Castillo and Rebecca Sheffield), and East Union looks ahead to their first round playoff opponent, South Delta.
“I know they're undefeated and I know that they're very athletic and it's a different atmosphere down there,” Blythe said. “They love to play, and they even play summer league slow pitch since they don't play fast pitch in the spring, so they love it.”
East Union will play the entire first round series at South Delta, beginning at 1 p.m. next Tuesday, Oct. 4.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...