UC earns second win of the season
Early miscues could not slow Union County down, as they earned the second win of the season, 40-8, at New Site on Friday.
Three turnovers plagued UC early on, but the play of Broderick Montgomery helped lead the team to a 28-8 halftime lead. Finishing with three touchdowns, Montgomery once again carried the load for the offense.
“D.J. (Armstrong) had another good night passing, but we chose not to throw the ball as much in this game,” UC coach Scott Duley said. “Broderick did a great job for us on the ground, and New Site is a physical team. They are an older, more experienced squad, and they had one player that gave us problems throughout the night.”
Armstrong accounted for one of UC's touchdowns along with one by Jonathan Thomas, and despite only allowing eight points for New Site, Duley noted that the defensive effort was not as sharp, and that is an area the team will work on heading into their season finale next week.
“We have Potts Camp in our final game, and for us, this is our big rival, so to speak,” Duley said. “Our programs started at the same time, and it has been a close game each year. They are coming off of two 35-0 wins, and I wouldn't look too much into the games they've lost, because I honestly believe if they had a chance to play those teams again, the outcome would be different.”
“Like us, they're learning how to play, and would would like nothing more than to end the season on a good note with a win.”
Next week's game against the Cardinals will take place at Byhalia.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...