UC earns second win of the season
Early miscues could not slow Union County down, as they earned the second win of the season, 40-8, at New Site on Friday.
Three turnovers plagued UC early on, but the play of Broderick Montgomery helped lead the team to a 28-8 halftime lead. Finishing with three touchdowns, Montgomery once again carried the load for the offense.
“D.J. (Armstrong) had another good night passing, but we chose not to throw the ball as much in this game,” UC coach Scott Duley said. “Broderick did a great job for us on the ground, and New Site is a physical team. They are an older, more experienced squad, and they had one player that gave us problems throughout the night.”
Armstrong accounted for one of UC's touchdowns along with one by Jonathan Thomas, and despite only allowing eight points for New Site, Duley noted that the defensive effort was not as sharp, and that is an area the team will work on heading into their season finale next week.
“We have Potts Camp in our final game, and for us, this is our big rival, so to speak,” Duley said. “Our programs started at the same time, and it has been a close game each year. They are coming off of two 35-0 wins, and I wouldn't look too much into the games they've lost, because I honestly believe if they had a chance to play those teams again, the outcome would be different.”
“Like us, they're learning how to play, and would would like nothing more than to end the season on a good note with a win.”
Next week's game against the Cardinals will take place at Byhalia.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...