Lady Hawks advance to north half finals
Myrtle coach Robert Gordon wanted to see better hitting from his team in its second round match-up on Saturday, and he got that, as the Lady Hawks pounded out 31 runs en route to wins of 10-0 and 21-0 over Ray Brooks.
“We worked on a lot of repetition, just hitting in practice,” Gordon said. “We talked about timely hitting and worked on situational stuff both offensively and defensively, and it paid off. They hit the ball, and we’re not used to the low arch they were throwing, and it took us a couple of innings to adjust, but once they did, they did very well with it.”
Jenna Jordan, Keely Chunn and Audrey Kent each had two hits in the 10-0 game one win, and the Lady Hawks exploded for 21 runs in game two, led by Jordan’s four hits. Gordon also credited his team’s defensive effort, limiting errors and holding Ray Brooks to one run.
“After Tuesday, we had a real good week of practice, and they did very well today,” he said. “Obviously, we worked out a bunch of kinks, and defensively we played great today. That was something we struggled with the other day with all of the errors and stuff, but today, we did a much better job. We put a big emphasis on that, playing tough defense.”
Chunn finished with three hits, followed by two hits from Meshay Cox, Kiana Judon, Alie Bishop, Kaylee Farr and Audrey Kent.
Myrtle will next face Smithville on Tuesday in the north half finals after their series sweep of Falkner (18-2, 21-9).
“They’re really good, and we know,” Gordon said. “We’ve seen them play a couple of times, and we know they’re a real solid team. They have some young girls, but they get after it real good.”
“They’ll be ready for us, and it seems like every year it comes down to Smithville and a team from Union County for all the marbles. We’re up for the challenge, and we look forward to it. Hopefully we’ll perform.”
Tuesday’s north half finals are set for a 5:30 p.m. start at Smithville.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...