Give what you can
The 2011 campaign of the United Way has been going on since August, and up until now the amount of money pledged is only 29 percent of the goal of $2.2 million.
A number of major groups, including those involved with health care, have yet to finish their employee campaigns so the total may be misleading.
But in fundraising, nothing should be taken for granted in raising money to support the United Way of Northeast Mississippi, which operates in seven counties including ours.
The goal this year, although slightly more than last year, should not be an unreachable number even in an uncertain economy. Charitable giving usually increases during difficult times.
What is most important locally is how much money is contributed by Union Countians because that determines how much money is returned to benefit worthy causes here.
This past year we had a significant increase in giving from the county and $91,250 was distributed to agencies that benefit Union County. The largest benefactors this year were the Boys and Girls Club of New Albany with $20,000, Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven Center with $11,000 and the Salvation Army with $7,000. Twenty-one other agencies shared the rest.
Although giving from our county has been increasing, it still is below where it logically should be for a county of our size.
We still do not have enough of our businesses and industries conducting campaigns. There is still time for you to participate, either as a business or an individual in this year’s fundraising drive.
The United Way supports many worthwhile causes in our community. We hope you will give what you can.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...